Tuesday, March 18, 2014

That's a spicy meatball!

It's been a few days....I promise I have not gotten lazy.  Once a year, on St. Patrick's Day, M cooks dinner.  And by "cooks," I mean he throws everything into a pot, adds some water, and lets it boil until its done.  Incidentally, I did not find out until I married him that red corned beef is NOT okay to eat on St. Paddy's Day.  It must be grey corned beef.  Grey meat.  Weird.   Anyway, that's where I've been - eating grey meat and boiled potatoes and carrots.  Honestly I can't really complain, it's actually pretty tasty and it gives me a couple of days off from cooking.

Today's meal comes from a friend of mine who sent me this recipe.  She eats very healthy and I walked into her house a week or so ago and this heavenly smell met me at the door.  She said it was a turkey meatball recipe and that's pretty much all I needed to know.

Is this a challenge to M?  Eh...not so much.  These are pretty much an Italian-style meatball (meaning there are things like garlic and basil and cheese in them) so it's not a flavor profile that is very different from what he likes.  However, The 5 Week Experiment isn't necessarily all about watching M attempt to suppress making hilariously disgusting faces at my choice of meals.  It's really about me making healthier choices without the constraints of his pickiness.  Making him squirm a little is just a bonus that I had to forego tonight.  But don't fret, tomorrow is another day and I have a huge collection of challenging recipes to which I am constantly adding.

So I present:

Crock Pot Italian Turkey Meatballs served with Barilla Plus spaghetti and a mixed green salad.  Sorry, no pic, we were starving and dove right in!

Why is it challenging?  It's not.  The only thing I can come up with is that they're made with ground turkey and he might feel it's not "beefy" enough.  But yeah, I think he'll like them.

ESL:  An 8.  Solid 8.  I'm not worried.

ASL:  He was pleased, and he agreed, an 8!  He would eat them again.  Again, not surprised.

I actually thought these were a little spicy, so I'm surprised K ate them.  And the bonus for the night:  R ate them!!!!  My picky little child who only eats chicken nuggets ate spaghetti and meatballs.  That right there is huge.


No comments:

Post a Comment