Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A challenge!!!!


So yes, it's been a little while.  I assure you that we did not give up on The 5 Week Experiment, but it has been CRAY-ZAY here and we've pretty much been fending for ourselves and keeping the little ones alive.  I'm happy to say that we're all here and ready to get back to business.

Because the wedding I'm in is only a week and a half away, M issued me a challenge this weekend:  lose 10 pounds before the wedding.  M is a smart man.  He knows that the 2 best ways to get me to do something are either to tell me I can't do it or to challenge me.  I'm not quite sure why it works because I'm well aware of this strategy, it's not a secret, and yet I just can't say no.  I happen to think it's quite charming, but I'm sure there are sometimes when my need to "win" or accomplish something that someone says is impossible is completely infuriating and frustrating to M.  However, in this case, it's a win-win.  I really needed a little jump-start, and it's a good number to shoot for.  And just to add, in case you haven't read the About page (and I highly recommend you do!), M is not "making" me lose weight or anything like that.  He knows I want to lose and get more fit and he's being a wonderfully supportive husband.  Now, on to the torture...

When M came home tonight and asked what was for supper, I grinned and said "Hey, you challenged me, I'm bringing it for dinner tonight!"  He looked genuinely scared.  I think he was afraid of another soup night.

I've had my eye on this recipe for a while now, but I didn't dare try it because I thought M would think I was trying to starve him to death.  I am SO glad I did tonight because WOW was it tasty!!!

The Meal:  Skinnytaste's Baked Chicken Milanese with Arugula Salad and Tomatoes

Why is it challenging to M:  This is a small plate.  We're talking a piece of chicken with a small salad on top.  This is what M would call an appetizer, and not one he would order at a restaurant.  Also, it's breaded baked chicken, which, for some bizarre reason, M does not like.  Who doesn't like breaded chicken?  It's delicious so if you don't like it, you're just wrong.  M has never really had any strong feelings about arugula, but I don't think I've ever seen him eat it, so I just wasn't sure if he'd like it or not.



ESL:  A 4.  A generous 4.

ASL:  A 5.5!!!

So here's what happened...

This meal was so delicious that I wanted to eat about 5 plates of it before bringing K to dance.  And then when I got home, I wanted to take it out of the fridge and eat the leftovers.  It was that good.  It was PACKED with flavor.  I knew it was going to be good because it was from the Skinnytaste website, but I just was not prepared for the deliciousness.  I can't wait to eat it for lunch tomorrow.

Oh yeah...M.  He actually liked it!  He wasn't as crazy about the chicken, which he described as "tough." This chicken was about as tough as Richard Simmons.  And if you need a reminder of how tough that could be, here you go:


When I cook chicken just enough so that it's super moist, M says he doesn't like it because it seems "raw" when it's moist.  But when it's cooked a few minutes more, he says it's tough.  The man doesn't know chicken.  He also is apparently trying to send me to the nuthouse because he doesn't know how he likes his own chicken.  Wait, I do.  He wants his chicken to be beef.  In the form of a hamburger.  But I digress.

Not only did he like it, but he said he really liked the salad and went back for seconds on that!!!  This says a lot about the flavors because he said he really liked the dressing I used, and the recipe is basically olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes and onion.  But when they come together....again, WOW.  Just make this dish.  You will be so happy.

My favorite part of the night?  When M said he'd eat this again!  Thank you and good night!


 photo tumblr_mesy3qDWcI1r5akqso1_500_zpsdfda3950.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment