Thursday, April 3, 2014

I get by with a little help from my friends...

A friend of mine sent this amazing-looking meal to me a week or so ago and I've been dying to try it.  Tonight seemed like the perfect time because I was looking for a good break from chicken breasts.  As much as I could eat the same thing every day, this Experiment is about increasing the variety of foods we eat while maintaining a healthy lifestyle, so I was feeling the need for a little ground beef in my life.

The meal:  Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
I would love to credit whoever sent this to my friend but we just can't figure out where it came from.  So if you're reading this and you're like "Hey!  That's my recipe!" please let me know and I will be happy to give you your props.  One thing I loved about this was how quickly it came together.  K had dance again tonight so we didn't get home until late and I threw this together very quickly.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1-2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water (I forgot this but it still turned out great)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt

Preparation:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper and salt (and water if you're using).  Bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.

Yield:  Serves 6 to 8

I served ours with brown rice:


Why is this challenging:  Although M is 100% Irish, he has not inherited any love for cabbage.  In fact, when he makes his one dinner per year for St. Patrick's Day, he makes corned beef (gray) and cabbage and he eats a teeny tiny piece just because.  This is also one of those dishes where everything is thrown together and M is not a fan of that kind of meal.  Apparently everything should be separated WHERE IT BELONGS.  

ESL:  6.5

ASL:  6.5!!!

I'm happier with the fact that I guessed right than I am with the actual number, to be honest.  But I'm very pleased!!  This was absolutely delicious and M was very surprised that he liked it too, haha.  He said he would definitely eat this again.  K devoured her bowl (minus the rice, which she said she didn't like) and gave it a 10!  What a happy dinner time we all had, and it makes my little black heart beat with delight that my family thoroughly enjoyed a healthy meal!  


Oh yes, I'm not done!  A couple of days ago, I noticed we had a bunch of bananas that were super ripe and I knew the kids wouldn't eat them because they had so many brown spots on them.  I remembered a bunch of pins on Pinterest about using frozen bananas to make "ice cream."  So I tossed them in the freezer and pulled them out tonight to try it out.  I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical.  But whoa....seriously?  The texture was the most impressive part of it.  Not only did it come out super smooth, but it was so creamy and rich-tasting, very much like soft-serve ice cream.  I added a little bit of Nutella and peanut butter.  Kaelan loved it, M was actually impressed as well.  I was thrilled because ice cream is definitely my weakness and this is a fantastic alternative.  

One more bonus before I sign off:  4 pounds down in 4 days.  Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment